Wednesday, November 2, 2016

The Sixth-Sensed Christian

I recently started a new job where I work with a particular lady who is known by all of the employees for being grouchy. She has a prickly personality, and is not exactly what you would call likeable. But I like her :) As a Christian, it is my responsibility to love her, no matter how she treats me. I find it increasingly easier to follow God's way of life, as I draw nearer to Him in obedience, and thus begin to understand and experience the richness of living his way!

When I began this job, one of the first things on my mind was "how am I going to be a witness to my co-workers?" There is nothing I desire more in life than to know God and to make him known, and there was no way I was going to avoid this issue while I was at work. How cruel it would be of me, as a Christian, to ignore the fact that my unsaved co-workers are on their way to Hell, but I have the answer of salvation and won't tell them about it!! I knew that I would have to do something. I knew that this was a mission field God was giving specifically to me. So I often would pray that God would give me opportunities to witness and the wisdom to know just what I needed to say, when, where, how and to whom. Just before I began work, God began pressing on my heart to "shine," "be a bright light," "radiate." He brought me to this passage of Scripture multiple times" Philippians 2:14-16a "Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; holding forth the word of life" Then I began my new job. I realized very quickly that people aren't always all they're cracked up to be. They have attitudes, moods and what I noticed the most: serious language issues!! It was clear to me that this would be an easy place to shine :) Meaning, the darkness was so present, that even a spark would be noticed by all. Still, I didn't want to JUST have my co-workers notice me because I was different. I wanted them to know WHY I was different! So I prayed some more. Time and time again God encouraged me through His Word, through music and as He spoke to my spirit to shine, to be a light, to "glow in dark," and He would let me know if there was a time for me to speak. Trusting God's plan, I made it my goal to look different, to be set apart in my attitude, my mood, my language, my response to authority and my over-all demeanor and behavior. This was my plan of action.

I have now been working at this job for over two months. Just last week, I was in the back of the store washing dishes, and my co-worker that I mentioned as being known for her crabbiness was working at something else in the same room with me. I was there for about 5 minutes or so, when she asked me "Do you have a dishwasher at home?"
"No," I replied. "We do our dishes by hand."
"Oh, okay." She paused, and then said, "I could tell."
I smiled, and she then went on to say,
"I just want you to know that whatever you do in life...I can tell...you're going to be successful. You'll do well." I paused to consider this compliment and how to respond, but she went on.
"You know, there's just something about you. It's like a... a sixth sense or something. Like you don't whine or complain about doing things."
And I thought, "....all things without murmurings.....that ye may be blameless....in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights...."
I breathed a breath of delight. FINALLY!!!! Finally I knew for sure that my light really was visible! I prayed right away that God would please help me know what to say! I thanked her, but before I knew what else to say, our conversation was interrupted. The rest of the day I waited to see if there would be an opportunity for me to say something, but finally I went home, not having spoken to her.

Up to this point I have not yet followed up on that conversation, but I do pray that God would give me an opportunity if it is His will, and in the meantime I have been greatly encouraged and motivated by the fact that my light is visible, I really am shining and radiating something that my co-workers can see: Christ in me!! :)



Two of the songs that God used to encourage me to be a light! :
"We Are" by Kari Jobe  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0jhYYRl928
and "Rise" by Danny Gokey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bBGUSEyJgs

No comments:

Post a Comment